Of all sleeping positions, sleeping on the back is enjoyable until you start experiencing some painful spasms of the muscles and joints pains, not to talk of producing some annoying snores, which will drastically reduce the luxury derived from sleeping on the back. As a back sleeper, you sleep with the parts of your body fully stretched out.
The spine and the neck are not forced into any contortions, but when this position is maintained for long, it can result in lower back pain. Also, sleeping on the back is accompanied by snoring because the head and chin are tilted back which makes the tongue fall back and block the airways. Hence, you need adequate support for the head and neck. Below are nine best pillows which can provide adequate support for back sleepers.
Top 9 Pillows for Back Sleepers
Nature’s Guest Support Pillow
Nature’s guest support pillow is unique. It is designed with contours to fit in the head and neck properly. This is why it is doctor recommended for those battling with neck pains. The ‘inbuilt’ neck roll cushion provides the perfect support to the cervix while sleeping on your back. This pillow is one of the most-sought-after in markets. It is made of quality materials which lasts the test of time and provides adequate support back sleepers need to align their heads, necks, and spines. Customers highly rate them.
- If you are a back sleeper who shifts from back to side sleeping position, then this pillow is designed for you. It is designed with gusset at the edges that allows you to change position effortlessly.
- It is hypoallergenic. It means this pillow is free of harsh chemical odors or allergies. You sure do not need to be bothered about reactions.
- As it is adjustable, both sides of the pillows can be unzipped to adjust the filling after use.
- It provides the perfect alignment for the neck and shoulder without being too high or low; just the ideal support!
- Through reviews from buyers, it is discovered that this pillow gives a quick fix to snores. So, you don’t have to worry about those embarrassing sounds anymore.
- The final good news, this pillow comes in pairs. Yes, in a pack of two.
- It can be too stuffed and hard for someone used to a down and flat pillow. You will have to go through the process of reducing the loft.
Beckham Hotels Collection
This pillow is luxurious, plush and a good catch. Its luxurious look comes down the diamond embroidery, laced around the pillow to give it a sophisticated look. It also comes in a pack of two and queen size, totally big enough for the head to sink in.
- It is made of hypoallergenic materials, which makes it free from chemical odors or allergies.
- It resists dust mite, perfect support for back sleepers who are asthmatic or suffering any pulmonary disease.
- It has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. So if you are not happy within those days, you can return and still get your money back in full.
- The rich embroideries on it make it proper for hotel collection and even when used in the home, it adds beauty to the house.
- It is mold and mildew resistant.
- For one order, you receive two packs. Cool right?
- It does not have a removable cover, so you have to go through the rigorous process of washing the whole pillow.
- Be careful how you wash the pillow in a washing machine. There have been reports of the filling spilling out after a part of the pillow fabric is torn.
Relief Memory Foam Pillow
This pillow is designed to give ultimate support to the lower back, hip, ankle, wrist, knee, and neck. It is an excellent reliever of pains in the neck, knee, lower back, hip, ankle, and other joint pains. It is designed in a semi-roll half moon and gives multi-positional body support.
- It has a removable and washable cover, so you can remove and wash when dirty.
- It is hypoallergenic. That is, it is free of reactions, harsh chemicals and allergies that might irritate the airways.
- The pillow cover is made of cotton which is soft and soothing.
- As it is memory foam, it will maintain its thickness and nor flatten out.
- It is also good to provide support for pregnant women.
- It is used for under knee and leg support, as well as feet elevator while sleeping on your back.
- The cotton gives a luxurious and soothing touch to the skin.
- It does not have replacement cover. So when you wash the cover that comes with it, you have to wait for it to dry. Using a drying machine will save you this discomfort though.
Sweetnight Pillows for Sleeping
This pillow is a memory foam that has all you would want in a pillow. It is a combination of numerous abilities asides giving perfect support to back sleepers.
- This pillow is memory foam, and memory foams are known for their abilities to contour to pressure and give the head the kind of support it needs.
- It is hypoallergenic; free from reactions. It helps to prevent allergy and fight against lungs irritants, pet dander, bacteria, etc.
- It is a shredded pillow which makes it adjustable to your preferred height and thickness.
- It provides quick and effective relief to neck pain.
- It stands the test of time and does not flatten out after a period of usage.
- The fabric is breathable and soft.
- It comes with two zippers, which makes it easy to adjust the loft.
- It comes with a gift bag to store extra foam in case of adjustment.
- It helps to regulate temperature because of its infused gel.
- It is easy and cheaper to ship because of its portable and compressed package.
- From the report, it is discovered that the soft lining is a little slippery and makes the loft move to the sides and top of the head. You have to keep patting to make a list fall back into position.
- There is also a report of shrinking and stinking after some periods of usage.
Dream North Pillow Gel
The elegant and sophisticated look of this pillow has made it popularly selected as home and hotel collection. It is cotton made, dust mite resistant and hypoallergenic.
- This pillow gives support to back sleepers by keeping the neck and head aligned with the spine.
- It is made from cotton; cotton is soft, breathable, washable and reusable.
- This pillow is fluffy and has a soft feel to it. You lay your head on it, and you have the feeling of laying on a cushion of clouds.
- For back sleepers suffering from asthma, allergies and other respiratory diseases, this pillow is the best for you because it is free of lungs irritant which might aggravate your sickness.
- Being dust mite resistant, it also keeps off lungs irritant.
- You do not need to be bothered about it flattening out. It springs back to its shape after every usage.
- It also comes in a pack of two.
- Some buyers used to down pillows complain about the thickness of this pillow.
- Unfortunately, it is not adjustable to your spec of height or thickness.
Utopia Bedding Gussetted Quitted Pillow
This pillow comes in a queen size, that is, 18 x 26 inches. It contains 750 GSM plush fiber filling which you can nestle on comfortably and enjoy your night rest to the fullest. It also comes with a pack of 2. When washing with a washing machine, wash on a very gentle cycle using cold water and fabric softener. After washing, shake or punch the pillow to dislodge any lump inside. Air dry in a warm area to prevent the growth of mold. You can instead use a drying machine but when using this, use a drying bag for the pillows and set the machine on fluff setting without heat.
- The pillow is moldable and breathable.
- It has double-needled corded edges which makes it perfectly designed and tailored to resist wear and tear.
- The pillows are beautifully embroidered on the sides and have double stitching designs that make them look posh and sophisticated.
- They are filled with a medium-firm blend and superior quality foam that ensures a comfortable night sleep.
- They are not gel-infused. So, there is the possibility of the pillows being hot and lumpy.
Cradle me Cervical Pillow
This pillow is specially designed for back sleepers battling with neck and back pain. It is an excellent cervical pillow for back sleepers, with an elegant and unique butterfly shape having 3D contours to provide support in the right places. The pillows are designed with wings on the sides which rise to cradle your head perfectly.
- It is designed with a varying thickness that gives different levels of support. You can flip it around while sleeping to maintain a convenient position or even turn it sideways for three different locations.
- It is a pressure reliever. This memory foam eases tension from the neck and shoulders.
- It is highly durable and does not lose its shape as it is being used.
- Having a butterfly design gives it a posh look as well as providing a cradle for your head, neck, and shoulders.
- It is breathable and also comes with a removable and washable cover.
- It helps relieve pains, stiffness and prevents you from waking up all tired and sore.
- The pillow has a mild chemical odor, so it needs to be aired out for 24 hours before using.
- It does not come in pairs like others. It is just one.
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow
This is an orthopedic sleeping pillow that corrects spine and joints disorders. It is an ergonomic cervical pillow. It is firm and comes in queen size(24x15x4.8)
- It is durable and does not wear quickly
- It helps to relieve neck pain and gives the cervix the 100 percent support needed for perfect relaxation.
- The beauty of this pillow is that it works for all sleepers. No matter the position you take, you will fit in perfectly. It is good equipment for testing the position that will be comfortable for you.
- Its material is breathable and free from harsh chemical odor.
- Another good news is that it comes with a free pillowcase which is made of hypoallergenic polyester material.
- The pillowcase is soft, silky and smooth; providing heavenly sensation to the skin.
- Might feel awkward at first due to the design
Everlasting Comfort Pillow
This is a leg pillow that has a combination of luxury and comfort. While sleeping, typing or watching TV, you have it to rest your legs on to avoid spasms of the muscles.
- It helps to provide physical relief to the knee, back, and neck.
- It is designed with orthopedic contour to support and align your legs, hips, and spine. Thereby, improving the deformities of these joints.
- You do not have to worry about the pillow shifting while you are fast asleep. It comes with a removable hook-and-loop strap that holds on to the legs firmly.
- The hook-and-loop strap is designed in a way that anyone can fit in no matter the size and shape. It is adjustable to expand or reduce it.
- Also, this pillow comes with two pairs of quality memory foam earplugs. The earplugs are built to reduce noise, making you have an undisturbed and refreshing sleep.
- It has a machine washable cover.
- It is portable enough to fit into bags for a journey.
- Some consider the pillow too thin in the middle
- It does not come with a carrying case in case of going on a journey with it, and since the cover is white, there is the possibility of it getting dirty quickly.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing Pillows for Back Sleepers
When it comes to sleeping, we all have different ways we position ourselves to enjoy our moments of relaxation. Some sleep on their stomachs, some on their backs and others on their sides. Whichever position we prefer, it is vital to get the right pillows specially made for that preferred position we have chosen. The right pillow will help to enhance comfort, support the body and put an end to any pain or discomfort we go through due to our preferred sleeping positions. For back sleepers, here are some factors to consider before buying a pillow.
When purchasing pillows, the sizes matter a lot. A back sleeper needs just a little support for the neck to prevent neck pain. So, if you want to purchase a pillow as a back sleeper, you need a slightly down or flat pad for your convenience. This medium soften pillow will only raise your head and neck a little to align with your body.
Pillow firmness ranges from soft to medium soft, firm and very firm. Soft pillows tend to sink in quickly and need to be changed often while medium soft is just a slightly better version. A back sleeper needs a thick firm cushion.
Consider a Contoured Memory-Foam Pillow
In choosing the designs of your pillow as a back sleeper, always go for pillows with contours. A contoured memory-foam pillow is perfect and useful in giving direct support to the back of the neck. Contour pillows also help to cradle the neck and keep your spine naturally aligned, thereby relieving lower back pain.
Consider Specialty Pillow
For back sleepers, consider specialty pillows such as cervical pillow which has extra firmness in the lower part and provides additional support to the head; an anti-snore pillow which lifts the chin away from the chest and opens the airway. Sleeping on the back is accompanied by snoring because the head is positioned in a way that the end of the tongue falls back and blocks the airways, thereby leading to snoring.
Your State of Health
Your state of health matters a lot in purchasing a pillow. If you had earlier been diagnosed with respiratory issues or you are quite susceptible to dust, chemicals, cold and other lungs irritant, then do yourself a favor of buying a pillow that is hypoallergenic, dust resistant and mold and mildew resistant. You do not want to buy something that that will lead to complications or further aggravate your illness.